Planet Dark Ages: Bored At Work, Decided To Start Modeling Something - Planet Dark Ages

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bored At Work, Decided To Start Modeling Something

#1 User is offline   SilentHawk 

• DA/PDA Freak
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Arena Hosts[Arena Host]
  • DA Class:War Monk

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

So, over the past couple of weeks while bored on the boat, not only did I watch the entire first 65 episodes of the original ThunderCats, I also made this.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

First image is from awhile back, put it there because it shows some other moveable parts that I didn't render with the current build. It's obviously still in a work in progress. Still need to model a trap door for the hatch turret as well as a door leading from the hatch to the cockpit. Also will probably redo the hatch doors to allow the Eye of Thundera emblem to slide open. Started texturing it, hence the mismatched body panels. Keeping it simple with little detail to make it more cartoon-like. And yes, the Thundertank is really that light-purple color, or so photoshop tells me. After it's fully textured, I might add some blue into the color if it comes out looking super gay.

EDIT: I also plan on making a little game, putting this in UDK. I have a game design document for a TCats game, but I doubt I'll actually follow through and will just make the tank drivable/functional on a map.

This post has been edited by SilentHawk: 29 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

My Portfolio *updated 1/9/10*
My Youtube Channel
PSN ID: Srikar

#2 User is offline   Skee 

• cheater
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

View PostSilentHawk, on 29 April 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

So, over the past couple of weeks while bored on the boat, not only did I watch the entire first 65 episodes of the original ThunderCats, I also made this.

First image is from awhile back, put it there because it shows some other moveable parts that I didn't render with the current build. It's obviously still in a work in progress. Still need to model a trap door for the hatch turret as well as a door leading from the hatch to the cockpit. Also will probably redo the hatch doors to allow the Eye of Thundera emblem to slide open. Started texturing it, hence the mismatched body panels. Keeping it simple with little detail to make it more cartoon-like. And yes, the Thundertank is really that light-purple color, or so photoshop tells me. After it's fully textured, I might add some blue into the color if it comes out looking super gay.

EDIT: I also plan on making a little game, putting this in UDK. I have a game design document for a TCats game, but I doubt I'll actually follow through and will just make the tank drivable/functional on a map.

pretty cool. is this maya? i'm about to embark on a learning-maya project as i finish up my first game and begin work on a 3d one.

a note on the color purple:
color isn't actually an inherent property of any object. objects only give off color when they're struck by light. different types of light cause an object to emit a completely different color. photoshop will return a different hex value for the color of, say, my 'purple' backpack, depending on whether i take the photograph in bright light, dim light, sunlight, or incandescent light. our definitions of 'purple' are broad enough to cover the entire range of colors my backpack appears to our eyes, so we don't usually think of it as 'changing color' in these different lights. but, in actuality, it is.
the reason this purple looks strange is because the purple you selected from a photo suggests a particular lighting of the environment. this lighting was not replicated in your model, and so it appears 'off' to our eyes.

i hope that makes sense im a bit tired :)

basically, you should select hex values til it looks right, rather than picking a particular photograph and using the hex value from that image. the 'thundertank' isn't actually any color at all -- hell, it could look red to us, given a particular lighting from the environment!

just to stress the point further (perhaps too far):

Posted Image

this guy is looking mighty blue today!!

This post has been edited by Skee: 29 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Fourth Spirit currently not in development.

#3 User is offline   SilentHawk 

• DA/PDA Freak

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

3Ds Max.

I know light is why we see color the way we do. That's why I took multiple screen caps while going through all those episodes and checked on many of the pictures. The tank is purple in every single one of them, lol.

EDIT: some of my caps, used the last one for the color.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by SilentHawk: 29 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

My Youtube Channel

#4 User is offline   Skee 

• cheater

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

In this case, we also need to take into account the transition from animation to 3d. While a more extensive look at examples would need to be done, I have a feeling that animated versions of colors are much lighter than we'd expect from their real life counterparts. I'd look up examples but I'm too lazy:)
Fourth Spirit currently not in development.

#5 User is offline   SilentHawk 

• DA/PDA Freak

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

Yeah, right now I have no lighting. Once I finish it and do some renders with lighting and possibly a short animation, I'll figure out what to do about it.
My Youtube Channel

#6 User is offline   SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUNWORM 

• Insight: 98
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • DA Class:DECADE OF DAIQUIRI

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

This is awesome.

Are you interested in contract work?

#7 User is offline   SilentHawk 

• DA/PDA Freak

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Contract work? lol
My Youtube Channel

#8 User is offline   SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUNWORM 

• Insight: 98
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • DA Class:DECADE OF DAIQUIRI

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

View PostSilentHawk, on 30 April 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

Contract work? lol

Going to need a 3D artist for a project once it's out of the prototype phase. Probably June/July. If you like being taxed like an employee you need not make any further inquiries.

#9 User is offline   Nigma 

• ~o
  • DA Class:Monk, Warrior, Wizard.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:49 AM

I used to have the thundertank as a child... not sure where it is now :(
the decline of a hero
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic